Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Alma Mater

Twelve years since I finished school and five years since I last went there, I walked through the gates of that beautiful cream and maroon building which still lifts my spirit just like it used to a decade back.
This building, place to many a wonderful memories, has not lost even a bit of it's charm. In fact, it seems to have increased manifold, embracing me with memories of love, laughter and happiness. All of a sudden, I was that little girl again, my mind jumping like a kid, devoid of all the worries that age brings upon you and all I did was smile and smile some more. The only difference is you love your teachers more now, without any grudges because over the years you've learnt to cherish them and found meaning in their actions. Each corner in this building is a part of your life interwoven with a memory that will never be washed away. Each familiar face reminds you of the times spent there with them being a part of it. 
The classrooms remind you of the love, scoldings and punishments which the teachers took upon themselves to give you every now and then. Here, we made our gang, shared lunch, talked during class hours, studied together and just had fun in general.
St. Thomas Central School, or more affectionally called the STCS, was our pride. This was our shrine - the shrine that imparted knowledge to us, the shrine that made us who we are. This was our second home!
Memories kept flooding my mind as I walked around the campus - the chapel, the canteen, the grounds, bus bay. The eager rush to the canteen as soon as the lunch bell struck to gorge on those yummy cutlets, meals, porotta and beaf fry. Boy, the taste still lingers in my mouth! Those quick and mandatory visit to the chapel before exams and competitions or the random times we spent here just for a peaceful moment. All those candles lit and heartfelt prayers said here never failed me. This chapel has surely witnessed some of the most sincere prayers of quite a lot of us. The endless matches played in those grounds and the entire school coming together to cheer for our boys. All these are not mere memories, this is the spirit of STCS - the one that is imbibed in all those who've spent atleast a year at this amazing place.

Though I was here only for two years, this place holds the best part of my heart. Here, you were always encouraged to pursue your interest, extra curricular activities were given as much importance as academics and life, in general, was just joyous. The teachers gave us their best, the office staff were our greatest support, even saving our back when we were naughty and was sure to be punished by the faculty. This school gave me friendship that will last an eternity and gifted me the two best years of my life that I will cherish forever. We shared, we cared and we watched each other's back without expecting anything in return.  It was here that I enjoyed the last bit of innocence before college and profession took over and innocence was lost somewhere in between. Life here, was all about fun, enjoyment and friendship. This school gave me memories for a lifetime, memories that will never get lost in the midst of today's rush, memories for which I will always take a pause, to think of and smile.
This place is a treasure trove - a treasure trove of memories, friendship, love, knowledge, happiness and much more. I am sure, even if many years pass by in between, whenever I step into this building, I will be that talkative, giggly, uniform adorned school girl. Because, this place can never hide the kid in you. This, is my alma mater - My STCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment