Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Paragon Experience!

The first time I stepped into Paragon, I was excited. It was in their Calicut restaurant and I had heard so much raving reviews about the food and I was just too thrilled to try out their dishes. That day, I had the famous Paragon Chicken Biryani, Fish Mango Curry, Kallumakkai Roast and Kozhi Porichathu. Each and every item I tasted that day stayed in my heart and every time I remembered the Paragon food, I was drooling. And, that experience stayed with me that even now, whenever we have a talk about the best food experiences that we've had, this is on my top list! Years later, I heard Paragon was opening its branch in Cochin and I was jumping with joy because Paragon Cochin would any day be an easier access for me. 
Veg Biryani
On my first visit to Paragon Cochin, I was way too eager to grab a seat and place my order without any delay to relive that first Paragon experience I had years back. This place is three floors huge and always full! The waiters are friendly, eager to help you out and give you suggestions on the menu. They keep coming every now and then, enquiring about the food and checking if you require anything more. Though, I was a bit apprehensive because, in most cases, the food never tastes the same in branches as it is in their main centre. However, as soon as I took the first mouth, I knew I was reliving my Calicut Paragon experience. This time though, I had turned vegetarian and I didn't have much options. So I had to settle for the Veg Biriyani. It may not be as amazing as their famous Chicken Biryani, but among the veg biryanis that I've had from several places, this ranks among the top three for sure! 

After the first visit, I've been here whenever I had a chance to be in Cochin because this is, hands down, one of my favourite eat-outs in Cochin. I've accompanied people who are not crazy about eating out and converted them to Paragon fans as well! 
French Onion Soup in Bread Bowl
On my last visit there, a week back, I had a wonderful dining experience. We were a group and while the non vegetarians were ordering the Chicken Biryani, French Onion Soup and Fish Mango curry, we, vegetarians, were lamenting on how we were missing out on the Paragon's signature fish mango curry, when the waiter told us that he can get us Veg Mango curry! So this time, I started off with a Veg French Onion soup and Peppery Grilled Paneer. The French Onion Soup came in a bread bowl. You had to scrape the insides of the bowl and mix it with the soup. This is, by far, the best soup I've had in Cochin, if not in Kerala. The Peppery Grilled Paneer, tossed in freshly ground pepper with a dash of lemon was full of flavour and a welcome change from the usual starter range in restaurants. 
Aleppey Veg Curry
For the mains we ordered Veg Biryani, Aleppey Veg Curry, Veg Mango Curry and Kerala Porotta. I must say that none of these dishes come near their non veg counterpart but this is the best veg dining experience you can get in Malabar cuisine. The Veg Mango Curry was heavenly and this time, it was truly the star. We couldn't stop ourselves from taking one more serving as soon we finished the earlier serving and this curry was finished before anyone knew!
The Veg Mango Curry
Each time I've dined here, I've left with a wide grin on my face, an overfed tummy and a promise to myself to go back there soon! This place is truly a foodie's paradise!
Paragon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment