Friday, June 3, 2016

You Are Starting School!


My Dearest Boy,

You are starting school (well, if play school counts as one!). Oh boy, I can't believe you are growing up so quickly. Wasn't it yesterday that I had a big tummy and then a tiny little squish in my hand, crying for just about everything? And now, look at you, you are a non stop chatterbox, even trying to talk while you sleep, with mischief unlimited. I am loving every minute of your growing up even if the house is a mess, the chores are endless and you hate me doing any other work. Still seeing you chirpy and happy makes it all less important.

I want you to (and I really hope) have this spark all through your life. Know that, even though you've started school, your happiness matters more than anything. You must do whatever interests you but give it your best shot. I will not push you to do things that don't interest you, neither do I expect you to excel in everything. I want you to be satisfied with what you've done and be happy. I don't care what others have achieved and I am least interested. Please know that I don't expect you to come first always. Just because somebody else fared better than you, doesn't mean you are any less than that kid. It teaches you more important lessons - appreciating someone else's capabilities, looking beyond you and knowing how failure feels. Yes, at times, I may feel let down (I'm human!) but we will work it out together. 

You should know that studies are not the be all end all of life. You need to play harder, make friends for life and enjoy your life at school. Have the courage to question, ask doubts and think out of box. I don't want you to loose your spark, that twinkle in your eyes I adore! You needn't be the well-mannered, teacher's pet kind of boy always, a little bit of mischief won't do you any bad. But do know the fine line between being naughty and hurting someone. Very important! I will of course bail you out when you need me (I've been doing that for a lot of your uncles!) but sometimes I might leave you to fend for yourself so that you learn a lesson and get the point. I should, and you must. But know that, even if I take a back step, I am just behind, to rush to you should you need any help.

I will try my level best to be the cool mom, but sometimes, I may fail. Don't loose hope. I will work on it and try to get better (easy way out? show me this letter and remind me of the promises). I am trying my best to raise you in the best possible way. Life, these days, seem to be very fast paced and I am trying to make it slow for you as much as possible. I hope I will always be one of your best buddies and we discuss everything that's happening in our lives. Let's work around your worries and concerns together and tread the difficult path hand in hand. Know that there is a solution to every problem that comes your way and we'll figure it out as and when it is required. 

Now, it's time for you to spread your wings. Get out of our comfort zone, meet new people your age, learn new things, explore and have fun. Happy learning. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment