Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Alphabet Soup For Lovers - Book Review


I love food and I love books. And when these two combine, I wholeheartedly grab the book for a good read. And that is how I picked 'Alphabet Soup For Lovers'. Who wouldn't love a good soup to warm your soul. I, for one, am a sucker for soups!

The story is set in the picturesque Annamalai Hills where Lena and her husband, KK owns a homestay. The story is told partly by their cook, Komathi (oh, I loved her!) - who is living with memories of lost love and the stolen wonderful times she had with her 'Rayar' and who has been looking after Lena ever since she was a six year old - and partly by Lena. The story revolves around Komathi trying to learn the English alphabets through what she could relate most to - food and Lena's love affair with the new guest at their homestay - a South Indian superstar.

The description of the setting is picture perfect that I just wanted to pack my bag and set off to the beautiful Annamalai Hills with its tea estates and shola and breathe in the fresh air, walk through the hills and just forget everything else. There sure is something about the hills that soothes you, calms you down and prepares you for the life ahead!

I absolutely loved (and adored) how Komathi learns each alphabet. She brings about so much life to the book, with her stories encircling the food related to the particular alphabet, the anecdotes and the age old myths. A few of my favourites were G for the Godumai Dosa and how the cast iron should be treated like an aged grandparent, oiled and brought out only for specific reasons (so true!), K for Kariveppilai (so true how the author addressed how Kariveppilai should not be touched by women on the days we bleed - "If we touch it on the days we bleed, it will dry up. It will not dry up if a man who beats his wife, starves his other or rapes a two year old girl goes near it", the N for Nandu and T for Thayir ("thayir slides down your throat, leaving a trail of cool wetness that heals your insides as much as your frazzled nerves" - true that!). Throughout the book, I was drooling over the food mentioned, just about everything. Food is comfort and reading about all that was there in the book, I just wanted to go to my mother and grandmother and have those 'soothe the heart and soul' food that they cook and be at peace.

I couldn't quite relate to, or rather, agree with Lena's story though. Yes, people do fall in love in the most unexpected circumstances, even while seeming to be in a perfect marriage. And it is totally upto you to walk out of a marriage to do justice to all the parties involved. But, blame it on me being traditionalist or having seen friends pass through this phase and the emotional trauma associated, I just was not able to enjoy Lena's and Shoola Pani's affair. Leaving the adultery side apart, I did enjoy how their love was described, how connected they felt to each other, the names they had for each other and of course, Arcadia - the place they inhabit. 

Also, the Kerala connection to the novel was so pleasantly relatable. The reference to the Song of Solomon being a great favourite with screenplay writers in Malayalam brought about scenes from the wonderful 'Namukku Parkkan Munthirithoppu' movie and a smile on my face while I read. In 'E is for Eeral', Komathi describes how Lena's Ammachi (grandmother) told that in Kerala, they don't see the heart as the place where love comes to rest, it is with the liver we love. Being a Keralite, I could totally understand the essence of this - so relatable, the connection between liver and love!

As much as I loved the food aspect, Komathi, her stories and of course, the Annamalai hills, I couldn't agree with the adulterous aspect of the book. I just couldn't. Because of this, I am yet to figure out whether I loved or hated this book. Maybe, I'll leave it just like that, for the book that it is, for the book that I loved and hated!

P.s: You can click on the link below to buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment