Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Mother's Bucket List


Quite a lot of us have our very own bucket list and nothing gives more joy than crossing out the items in it. Though officially I never made a bucket list, I had my list of things to do too. But now, being a mother, my bucket list sure has changed and I find the new list much harder to conquer than the earlier one. While there is more to the list, here goes my top ten in no particular order:

1. Have an hour long bath without any interruption -  The usual escape zone in the house is suddenly public post baby. For the ignorant souls who doesn't understand what interruption a bathing mother faces, here goes - The baby wants milk (or his grandmother/great grandmother thinks so) at the exact time his Amma is having bath, the  boy running inside the bathroom all of a sudden wanting to see his Amma (while all the time she was out there, nobody paid any attention to her!), the only time a toddler opens his mouth and says "susu" hearing which any mother would grab the kiddo into the toilet for the so called "potty training" and the little one forgets the "susu" and starts playing with the water (more fun!), persistent knocks on the door (if you lock the door) by the husband/mother/grandmother/father/brother/mother in law because, just because, the baby asked for his Amma (really? couldn't you just tell him that his Amma is having a bath?).

2. A potty trained baby - Trust me, I am sure this ranks high up in most moms' bucket list. After countless diaper changes from day one, we look forward to a potty trained baby who says "susu" and "potty" without wetting/soiling his pants and yet act cool as if nothing happened. If this is not reason enough, the highest household expense is that of buying pampers (if somebody told all the new parents how expensive this underwear like thing is, we would've thought twice before baby making, for sure!). And if, fearing you will run out of money buying pampers, you leave the baby pampers-less, then he is so happy to go "susu"-ing around the whole house that you are sure to end up thinking wearing pampers, irrespective of the expense, is better than breaking your back mopping the house every half an hour!

3. Eat an ice cream/chocolate without a little voice shouting "ikeem/chokate"- As much as I love my little one, it will not hurt if I can have an ice cream/chocolate all by myself. I call out my little one as loudly as possible and he will not hear me, but the moment the divine word is uttered anywhere in the house or even, for that matter, in a big ground where he is nowhere in sight, the boy would still come running to me and say "Amma, ikeem?". 

4. Getaway time, let alone a day, without the husband and the kid and without the husband calling every 15 minutes to check why the kid is crying, what to give the kid, how to entertain the kid and other irrelevant doubts - Admit it, when there are two kids (the husband acts like a kid most of the time) and though you love the giggles, non-stop entertainment and the fun, there are times when there are tantrums and emotional drama, and you just want to get far away from the two people who matter to you most and have some time just for yourself.

5. Go back to the pre pregnancy figure with no flab, whatsoever, bulging out from the sides and front - Though I don't have time to bother about this nonsense called the pregnancy fat, still at times, those rare moments, we do think of those long forgotten days of flat tummies and yearn for the body to look like how it was pre pregnancy. Because, sometimes it seems like a dream long gone and I really don't remember my body pre pregnancy!

6. Live a day, just one day, without hearing unsolicited advices from the (not so) well wishers on how to raise your baby better - They are the all pervading lot and many a times I've felt like giving them a punch straight on their face or just say, very very loudly, mind your business. They are the ones who tell me how I should feed my baby, what I should eat, when I should make my baby sleep, and so on and on. They are the ones who ruin my day and give me a headache. Given a chance, I will stay away from them all my life but sadly, that does not seem like how it is going to be.

7. No paediatric visit for atleast a three month stretch - The number of times I went to the hospital in the last two years is way higher than what I've gone in the 28 years before that, for sure! This boy of mine has to fall sick once a month. And each time the boy falls sick, it affects every single nerve in my body, it tires me out and I become this two faced monster who acts strong outside but is so worried and weak inside. Each time he falls sick, I am reminded of the time he fell really ill and I had a dreadful two weeks which I don't even like to think about and it's scary. I really need a break from this!

8. Sleep peacefully and undisturbed for 8 hours at a stretch  - I've been blessed in this. The boy had always been good from the time he was born, sleeping through the night as if he needs his sleep much more than us and thereby letting me sleep. Also, I must add, I am blessed with two amazing souls - my mother and husband, who was ever ready to sacrifice their sleep during the initial days and let me have my sleep. However, off late the boy seems to get bored of sleeping during the early hours of the day. So he pokes me, tries to wake me up with a "Amma... hii.. morninnng" and that seems to be the best time in the whole of 24 hours he gets in a day to strike a conversation with me. If that is not the case, I have a little finger poking my eyes or using my eyes as if it was a joystick in the middle of the night and it is still a mystery how, even in his sleep, he knows if the eyes he is poking is mine or not!

9. Have the baby eat his food (on his own?) and empty the plate without any fuss or drama - Whatever happened to the 6 month old boy who was a total foodie and was way too eager to have the food in his plate? Now, the boy prefers testing Newton's law of gravity with the dosa, bathing his idli, feeding milk to his high chair and such other similar activities. When this mother has so much to do, feeding this boy who seems to be so disinterested in what is in front of him (other than if it is chocolate, ice cream or cake, of course) is time consuming and exhausting. 

10. A neat house with toys arranged in one corner and not scattered everywhere - This is a dream definitely. The house looks like earthquake struck all the time and if at all I get to clean the house without any interference, it just takes him a maximum of 60 seconds to get the house back to the earthquake mode.


Though things in my list is sure to be checked one day unlike the uncertainty that usually remains in the bucket list, right now this seems to be quite unconquerable. While I would love to do all those adventure and see-the-world activities, this seems to be my priority now and the joy of achieving this list of mine is way higher than anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment