Monday, January 30, 2017

The Weekend That Was!


We had an amazing, fun-filled, action packed weekend. Saturday was the little boy's cultural fest at school and ever since the note came home informing us about the fest, the dance and the costumes, I have been excited, maybe a little more than the boy himself! 

The little boy was to be in the christmas dance and hence, had to be in a red satin shirt, black bow tie and black pants along with silver pom poms. I got the satin shirt stitched when I went to Trivandrum for our christmas break and we had the remaining costume in place. Ever since the school started after the christmas break, I have been asking him about his dance and all that I got for a response was that he was dancing for "bol baje" (read: dhol baje). Thanks to the whatsapp group of mammas, we came to the conclusion that all the kids were excited about the dhol baje song and wanted to dance only for that. 

The day of the cultural fest, it was heartmelting to see the little one dressed in his dance costume and all set for his stage performance - not his first yet, to us, still special. As the kids got in, we, excited mammas, most of us draped in Sarees, stood squealing and eyeing each other's dress until we were let in. It was a fun filled two hours of dance and music with little ones dancing to the tunes of various Indian festival songs. As my little boy came to the stage I was excited for him and all his friends but he was holding just one pom pom and seemed upset. He was the least interested in dancing and started troubling the little boy next to him, trying to poke his eyes, and oh boy! I just wanted to disappear. There wasn't anything the I could do at that moment, although in my mind, I would have said "Don't do that, Adhrith" a million times. Although everyone around me found it "cute", I know the little boy's parents wouldn't have found it so and neither did I. I breathed a sigh of relief as the dance got over and the entire episode was forgotten as we enjoyed the rest of the show. We came back home with a lot of memories and photos to cherish, and a certain little boy telling his Acha that he didn't dance because he was waiting for the "Dhol Baje" song to come and he was angry because someone took his pom poms.. Kids!

Sunday was even more exciting with the Pinkathon, Bangalore happening. Like I told you in the earlier post, The Bangalore Birth Network was partnering with Pinkathon to bring on board babywearing moms to participate in the 3km walk. We were to reach the Kanteerva Stadium by 5:30 in the morning and I decided to carpool with a mom I met at the practise walk and who, I later realised, lived next to me. So with sleeping kiddos in our Soul carriers, both of us set out at 5:00 in the morning to the stadium. As we reached the stadium, we could see thousands of women in pink and white, all set to run for a cause. The stadium was packed with women all set for the marathon - some for 3km, others for 5 km and 10km and a few for 21km. Amidst the entire crowd, I must definitely say how we, babywearing moms, stood out with our little ones strapped to us in our beautiful carriers and rocked the 3km walk. There was a sense of sisterhood, each cheering for the other, and as the mommies finished the walk, we patted each other on the back. For us, things like these are a reassurance that we can do it, inspite of being a mom, inspite of having a baby on our hip, and to most of us moms, none of these could ever be possible without babywearing - our biggest blessing that empowers us to live life as we wish without being restrained! 

Weekends like these make your heart happy in a way that makes you wish time stood still.  It tires you yet it's rejuvenating, preparing you to start the week ahead on a positive note. The kick lingers for your mind to whisper "you go, girl" every now and then when you are unsure of yourself and feeling low. This was as refreshing as a weekend getaway, and trust me, given a chance, I would do it every weekend!

On a different note, I finished two books too over the weekend. Reviews coming up soon (hopefully!).


2 comments:

  1. And what amazing energy you brought to BBN and Pinkathon!! <3

    Also, you finished TWO BOOKS. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you realise you are way too generous? :D

    ReplyDelete