Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Book Review - Snow Flower And The Secret Fan



Title: Snow Flower And The Secret Fan
Author:  Lisa See
Pages: 265
Rating: 4.5/5

After reading one of the best books that I've read in my life, it was difficult to choose the next. I was confused what to read when a friend suggested Snow Flower And The Secret Fan to me. And I am glad that I picked it up! 

The book is about the friendship developed by two little girls in China, which is narrated by one of them who looks back at her life, at 80 years of age. It is the story of a young girl, Lily, who at the age of seven, is paired with a laotong, a relationship that would last their entire lives. The two girls, Lily and Snowflower exchanges letters in nu shu, a secret language created by Chinese women, through a fan. The story tells the tale of how the two girls grow up together, right from foot binding (a Chinese custom for girls to prevent further growth of their feet)  to marriage and motherhood. They find solace in each other through their losses, difficulties and loneliness, but when a misunderstanding arises, the friendship is affected, only to be realised way later.

I loved the book for the friendship it portrayed. The book is about what all of us, girls, go through in our life when it comes to friendship. It is a beautiful book that tells us how we tend to misunderstand our friendship, how we feel our friendship is not being reciprocated only to loose friends and then realising later. We often try to please our friends, to get their approval and seek validation. Later, when we grow up, we do not want to let them know our difficulties and sufferings, just because we do not want them to be upset about us. At one point in the book, Snow Flower writes to Lily saying, "you won't have to listen to my complaints anymore. Three sworn sisters have promised to love me as I am. Write to me, not to console me as you have been doing, but to remember our happy girl-days together." It left me thinking about the friendships that I have. As much as I love my childhood friends, who are my heart and soul and the ones who know me inside out, as we move on in life, we need friends from the present as well, the ones that are there in your daily life, the ones with whom you share your life now, the ones who are there by your side. They may not know you or love you like the ones you grew up with, but they are your cheergirls in daily life, the ones who encourage you to move forward. And, that doesn't mean you love your childhood friends any less; just that you need both of them in your life.

The book gives an insight into the traditions and life of girls and women in China, the main being the laotong custom. It beautifully portrays how friends are as important as family. The part where Snow Flower and Lily participates in each other's wedding functions, being pregnant together and dreaming about their babies, being with each other throughout whatever happens in their lives, reminded me of my friends with whom I grew up - I remembered our wedding days, being there for each other as the perfect support all through the wedding functions, the husbands and in-laws accepting that the friends are an inevitable part that comes along with the bride, being excited about each other's pregnancy and the eagerness to hold the newborn. Life may turn around unexpectedly, sometimes leaving you in the dark as well, but true friends stay by your side, no matter what, determined to see you through. 

It is a light read and very interesting for the story line and the history that is weaved into it. The story is told very beautifully; there was never a point where the story lagged. More importantly, the book stirs a lot of emotions in you. I am for sure adding this book to my gifting ideas for brides to be, or for any girl for that matter. It is definitely a must read for every girl!

P.s: You can click the link below to buy the book!

2 comments:

  1. That was an elaborate review of the book. The way you have put it across makes one feel interested in reading the book. In fact it was as if I have read the book already. Especially the part where childhood events are described is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is a book that you must read! Also, you were one of the persons in my mind when I read this book - all our 'Lily and Snowflower' like childhood days! <3

      Delete