Tuesday, February 2, 2016

That Perfect Idli At Veena Stores

There is a quaint little place that you cannot miss when you pass through Bangalore's Margosa Road. Because, in front of this small hole in the wall shop, there is always a huge crowd - some waiting patiently and some holding a plate of piping hot idlis or other Bangalore's favourite tiffin items and relishing each bite. And that is when you notice a blue board with "Veena Stores" written on it - a name associated with the best idlis that you can find in Bangalore (I think it's the best you can find anywhere). 
For the last couple of years, Veena Stores used to pop up every now and then whenever I had a  conversation about food with someone in Bangalore but, somehow, I never made it there until now. My first visit to this place happened on the spur of the moment when one fine evening, my friend and I, along with our babies, were passing through the Margosa Road when we noticed the blue board of the store shining brightly that we decided to stop and park the car wherever we could find a parking space and try the famous idli from Veena Stores. We managed to park our car on a by-road and walked straight to Veena Stores with babies in tow, not able to contain our excitement at the thought of having the much heard about idlis. 

We placed our order for two plates of Idli Vada and within seconds, we had two plates with piping hot dishes to relish. Carrying my curious boy (who was looking at the plate and drooling) and plate with one hand and feeding him and myself with the other, I must have posed a pathetic sight to the passers by for sure. Nevertheless I didn't care because I was way too excited to try the dishes out! 
I was told the idlis in Veena Stores are the best, but I never expected it to be this amazing! The idli was soft, fluffy and just melted in my mouth and the pudhina (mint) chutney that came with it was the perfect dip to elevate the taste of the idli to an altogether different level. The Vada was crisp at the outside, soft at the inside and not too oily. This little plate of two idlis and a vada was so tasty that we parcelled two more to take back home so that we could sit at peace and relish it. However, it didn't last that long, we polished it off as soon as we reached the car!

It is this absolutely amazing idli that makes me go back to Veena Stores always. I've also tasted a few of their other tiffin options- the Bisibele Bath with crispy bonds scattered on the top, the tangy Puliyogare with a light hint of sweetness, the Khara Pongal, the Khara Bath and the Kesari Bath, all perfectly spiced, flavourful with melt in the mouth texture. However, all these take a backstep when you taste the super soft idli, because one bite into that steaming hot idli and you are in food heaven!
Even since I had idli from here, I've been guilty of comparing idlis I have from elsewhere with this including the one my mom and grandmom makes. Every time I go home and if it's idli for breakfast, I rave about the Veena Stores Idli so much so that my mom and grandma finds it offensive considering that they think quite highly of the idlis that they make! I never thought a dish as simple as an idli could be the perfect definition of heaven to me until I found this  perfect soft, fluffy and melt in the mouth idli! This is surely Bangalore's comfort food at its best!


Veena Stores Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment