Monday, June 11, 2018

As The Summer Holidays Come To An End....


I have vivid memories of my school summer holidays. As soon as the exams get over and the school closes for holidays, we would pack ourselves off to a close relatives house or we would have cousins visiting us. I still remember fondly the innumerable stay overs that we've had during those days. The days would seem short as we would play, fight, share stories and just while away time. Those memories hold a special place in my heart and thinking of it still brings a faint smile, no matter what!

Years passed, as college and work came by, summer holidays became a part of the distant past. It became a cherished memory that I could never get back. And then, the little boy started school and summer holidays are again back in my life.

This year, as much as I was looking forward to the holidays, I also didn't have a clue as to how I would manage him along with work. I always had friends helping me out and being my back up plan when I was away for meetings or if I wasn't able to make it on time to pick up the little boy from school. I had a hectic work schedule for the first week of April, bang when the holidays started. But summer holidays meant everybody had their vacation plans on and even otherwise, I wouldn't be able to bother them on a daily basis. That said, I didn't want to put the little boy for a summer camp too. He needed a break from the daily routine. This was his time to enjoy whiling away time, doing absolute nothing if that's what he wanted to do and in general, chill.

It all started with my mom requesting to send Adhrith to my parents' along with my brother. The little boy was excited. And off he went to Trivandrum, a few days into his vacation of which one of the days was 'go to meetings with Amma' kind of a day. Since then, the last two months have been celebration time for him all throughout. Home and parents were forgotten. He spent days away from us with his grandparents and cousins, helping his 'Muthassi' (my grandmother) plant saplings and water plants, visiting the beach and zoo, and not having a single minute to spare to even talk to his parents. :P Each time he came back home teary eyed and upset, because he didn't want to come back and stay wherever he was 'forever and ever'. Those times he was home, he had friends over from the minute he woke up.

Now, as the holidays come to an end, I am sure that the little boy has filled up his memory bag with truckloads of fun and enjoyment from summers of '18. With new words and, at times, accents that he picked up from his cousins and friends, a lot of 'Ammaaa.. you know..' and getting pampered big time, this boy has grown up a lot - through experiences, being with extended family, realising his fears and facing it, realising the world outside and comparing it with ours. 

Activities were forgotten, schedules took a u-turn, and just about anything that defined a structure went for a toss. Yet the boy has learnt. A lot. Much more than any activity or text book could teach him. He has learnt and picked up things beyond his age. Things that is going to be a big influence in his journey of growing up. Things that he will not forget. Along with him, I learnt too. I've learnt to let go. To worry less. To sit back and soak in the happiness of a little boy enjoying his day the way he wants.

These two months kept bringing me back the memories I made growing up. I hope the little boy holds the ones that he made close to his heart forever too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment