Thursday, April 6, 2017

When Mommies Have Fun And Relive School Days


I have this amazing bunch of girls as friends. The little boy's school friends' mommies. We've just been together for a year and yet we've formed a wonderful bond that takes us back to school days, where you were just you and not trying to be someone else, where you were not seen as a potential threat or a potential person who can be used, where there were lot of misunderstandings but we worked around it to still be friends. I will never forget the June of 2016, when we hugged, kissed and waved goodbyes to our little ones and stood teary eyed and anxious, equally flustered as our babies were, waiting outside the school gates for them to come out and while at that, we started talking, wondering out loud our worries, giving the moral support that we needed to each other and just being there for each other. I tell you, this bond, that we form through our worries and tears are one of the strongest!

After the kiddos got settled at school, we were no longer needed to wait outside the school gate but we just couldn't let go of our worries and concerns. We formed a whatsapp group to discuss these and the school notes. But over time, breakfast dates, dress codes and party planning took over school notes and this has become one of the most active groups in my whatsapp. We have a comfort zone with each other, so much so that we are this loud and boisterous group and the ruckus we create when we are together is one of its kind. There is not one person who is silent and if you find us silent (ver rare!) it would be either be when we are stuffing our mouth with food (still we talk) or when we take a group pic of us (the only moment of silence!).

So, when the schools closed and summer holidays started, we decided that we needed a break too. There started all the planning for a bollywood night out. Although that plan had to be postponed, we decided to go for a dinner without the kids. Last few days had been all about eagerly, excitedly waiting for wednesday night, discussing what to wear and what to eat. And finally when the day came, I, for one, got ready way early much to the confusion of the little boy who wanted to tag along since he quite evidently found the twinkle in Amma's eyes more exciting than being at home.

Coming to the dinner, we had the time of our life. Each sentence ended with laughter, each plan ended with more plans, and we went back to the time where we were kids ourselves, giggling and laughing, chatting non-stop and just being us. I came back home lightheaded with all the laughter and talks, and the excitement and joy was too much that I was restless the whole night yesterday. I had fun in the most amazing way I could have ever imagined before. The last time I would've had fun this way with a bunch of girls, maybe, has to be while I was at school. Yet, I really don't remember such a fun night out with just a huge bunch of girls. 

For the last couple of years, or rather, so many years, I've always lived my life reminiscing about old friendships and the golden days that had passed by, always thinking how the new friends I make can never match my bunch of girls from school. Now, after many years, I have another bunch of amazing girls in my life with whom I could just be me, have the most amazing time and come back home only to miss them and wish only if time stood still. Yesterday night made me wonder out loud why I didn't meet them earlier in life. That said, I am really thankful I didn't because then I wouldn't have realised their true worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment