Friday, April 22, 2016

As You Turn 60...


Dear Achan

As you turn 60 and enter the senior citizen category (time to revise the senior citizen category to 70?), there are a few things I want you to know. Though you know I love you much more than words can express, I've never expressly told you how thankful I am for being your daughter, how grateful I am for having you in my life. And, there's no better time than this to let you know.

You may be turning 60 but, trust me, you have not changed much from when you were in your 30's - well, except from being a size 39 to being a size 44 now! You are still the man everyone look upto, ever ready - day in and day out - to help anyone in need without expecting anything in return and someone who is in love with the society more than he loves himself.

Growing up, I couldn't have asked for a better person to look upto. You were the super cool dad who trusted your children completely and never doubted us on what we said or did, even once. You had an undying belief in us that we wouldn't do any wrong and hence, we grew up without any restrictions/curfew. It is this, that made us open about everything in our life with you and Amma.  Your belief in us has been our driving force always and it also ensured that we never betrayed the trust you had on us. We never had secrets within the family and we knew whatever we did, even if the whole world let us down, we would have one man who would support us and cheer for us, come what may. The times I failed, you told me to face the world boldly, held my hand tightly and encouraged me to try harder the next time. You have been my biggest inspiration in whatever I do. You never stopped us from pursuing our interests and you gave your whole hearted support always. You may not have liked all that I did until now, yet, you stood by me without showing even a slight tinge of displeasure, and helped me pursue my interests and later, at times, when I realised what I did was wrong, you still stood by me without ever uttering a 'I told you so'. You sure have made me feel like a princess every single minute and I can't thank you enough. 

To the person who taught us the importance of giving, who taught us money is not the be all end all, who taught us wealth is measured by how content you are and not by your bank balance; to the person who showed us to be there for anyone in need without thinking twice or expecting anything in return, who raised us to be a better human, who showed us family extends to friends as well, thank you for being the best teacher and an even better father!

You know? You sure do make 60 look like the new 30. In fact, as cliche as it sounds, you are really 30 years old with an extra 30 years of wonderful, rich experience to your credit. I am blessed to have been born as your daughter and I am so proud to tell the whole world you are my father.  You are an amazing husband, father, grandfather, uncle and friend to many. Once again, happy birthday to my favourite person. I love you, daddy!

2 comments:

  1. "You had an undying belief in us that we wouldn't do any wrong and hence, we grew up without any restrictions/curfew" ~ So true....it is nothing but belief in children that makes them stop from doing anything that could dampen parent's trust!!

    Fathers never grow I guess....my dad too acts like a 25 year old man most of the times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed.. Fathers never grow! :D

    ReplyDelete